Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Listening to God

This morning after walking with my friend Cindy, I headed home.  Initially, I was going to run to Wal-Mart, but my children asked me to please wait until after school so they could go with me.

On my drive home, I passed a young girl carrying a musical instrument and her father carrying her book bag.  They were walking on this road.

I feft a little nudge to stop and see if they needed a ride.  But, being a criminal justice major & all, I continued to drive to my neighborhood while I asked God for wisdom.  The prompting to go back to help grew stronger.  So, I turned around and made one request of God......

"Lord, if anything happens to me could you please do me one favor?  I have on my gold Victory Sports shirt today which stands for Your glory.  Could you just make sure that the Scripture (1 Corinthians 15:57) is seen and the gold is explained on the news?  Thanks." 

I pulled up to this precious young lady and asked her if she was walking to school.  She said yes in a beautiful accent and told me which school.  When I asked her if she needed a ride, she immediately looked to her dad for guidance (he was a few steps behind - he had the heavy book bag, remember?)  So, I asked him and he responded in such gratitude that I was overcome with emotion. 

His accent was even more pronounced than his daughter's. 

When I asked them where they were from, the daughter said New York.  Then, the dad said NIGERIA, AFRICA!!!!!

O.H.  M.Y.

I immediately said, "I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!"

The father asked me "How did you know?" 

My response, " GOD SENT ME TO YOU!  IT WAS GOD!

Once I calmed down a little, I was able to tell him about God calling my family to Africa.  I shared with him how Nigeria had been coming up A LOT lately (I still have a Student Life story to share....I have not forgotten) and how we even have missionaries from Nigeria staying at our house next week.

He asked me about my church, and I just happened to have a card with our church info on it to give him.  He knew exactly which church I was talking about because one of his children had taken an AP exam there last school year.

He and his wife have 6 children ranging in age from 4 to 17!  On the way back from school, I met his beautiful wife.  What an amazing family! 

They had car trouble which is why the daughter and father were walking to school.  He told me missing school was not tolerated. 

What a privilege it is to have access to public education in this country.  In other countries, it costs lots of money so not every child can go.  Our children do not realize what a blessing & privilege school truly is.  I know my daughter is already praying for this school year to go by fast :)

WOW!  I am still standing in awe of God and what He did this morning!  Another Divine appointment!  WOW!

The family and I exchanged info and will be keeping in touch.  They talked about visiting our church too!  I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT GOD IS GOING TO DO NEXT!!!

Loving HIM with all my heart & soul,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. The little girl is in Katie's class.....I can't remember her name, but imagine me falling out of my chair when I hear the story from another angle.

    ReplyDelete