Thursday, December 29, 2011

WE MADE IT!!!


December 29, 2011   3:35 pm SC    11:35 pm Uganda
We had a good but bumpy flight from Turkey to Uganda – my favorite!  But, we FINALLY made it to Uganda around 2:00 a.m. local time.  It was dark, foggy, and humid.  Our ride & reservations for the night weren’t expecting us until the next day so the only thing waiting for us were the mosquitoes!!! 

But God took care of us like only He can!  Pastor Samuel, a local pastor at Return Ministries, received a desperate call at 1 a.m. and came to our rescue. Two vans & one taxi later, we were on our way to find a place to stay.
At 4:30 a.m., we ended up at the Namirembe Guest House “a day early” where they graciously gave us 4 rooms. Shawn & I actually ended up with our own room.  But 17 ladies had to share 1 room with 6 or 7 beds.

Most of us slept for a few hours and then it was off to our first ministry – Return Ministries led by Pastor Samuel.  This ministry feeds/works with nearly 200 children in Kampala and focuses on loving them and providing a strong family atmosphere to help them understand the love of Christ. 
When we arrived, the children cheered!  And cheered!  And cheered!  Then, some of them performed a dance for us.  WOW!  It was fantastic.  As I sat there watching the children dance, I asked God to show me at least one child He wanted me to speak to.  That’s when a young girl in a yellow dress with a beautiful smile caught my eye.  Her name was Catherine.

After the performance, we sang a couple of songs and then started playing while lunch was being prepared.  Kids were everywhere!  I was looking for one of the older girls who had dropped her sash while dancing when someone grabbed my hand.  It was CATHERINE!  She approached me first which just confirmed that God indeed wanted me to share His Truth with her.

Catherine & I talked and danced.  Then it was time for lunch.  The children were so orderly and well behaved.  It was quite impressive. We served each of them a plate full of beans & rice – the only meal for most of them for the day.

After lunch Catherine spent some time talking with Shawn.  Then I saw her run to the front of the house and put her shoes on.  When I asked her where she was going, she said with a big smile on her face, “I’m going to clean the toilets.” 

It was at that moment that God had me share some things with her.  I told her how much God loves her and how He sent Jesus to die for her.  And how important she is to Him.  And that He has very special plans for her and her life (Jeremiah 29:11.)  And how her willingness to serve others by cleaning toilets made Him so proud of her because she was acting just like Jesus.  I encouraged her to trust the Lord. To love Him with all her heart.  To follow Him, no matter what.  And to grow closer to Him by praying and reading the Bible.

She was beaming from ear to ear!  The presence of the Lord was so overwhelming!  Then with an extra spring in her step, she went to clean the toilets.  Humbling.  Today, she is the reason I’m in Uganda.

Pastor Samuel’s wife prepared a fantastic lunch for us.  Then it was back to more playing & loving on the children.

Trampolines in Africa??!!!  Absolutely!  Kids are kids no matter what part of the world they live in.  I’ll probably be sore tomorrow!

Saying goodbye was not easy, even after only a few hours with the kids.  We had a great time hanging out with them and being the hands & laps of Jesus. 

After a little shopping at Return Ministries to help support their program, we returned to the Namirembe Guest House for the evening to help recuperate from jet lag.  Our rooms were straightened out, and everyone had their own bed tonight.

Please pray for us on Friday as we work with a ministry called Sixty Feet.  We will be reaching out to children in captivity/prison.  Please check out their website for more information.

GOD IS SOVEREIGN!  He is in complete control of every single detail!  His ways are not our ways.  Thankfully, His ways are best!

P.S.  We will be traveling to Jinja, Uganda after we leave Sixty Feet on Friday so I’m not sure when I’ll have internet access again.  KEEP PRAYING! 

Loving HIM with all my heart & soul,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment