Friday, June 3, 2011

Time Flies So Make The Most of Every Opportunity

"Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is."  Ephesians 5:15-17

Last night, I was listening to the radio and heard the DJ ask, "How many summers do you have left with your children before they leave home?"

I don't even want to think about that!  But, as a parent I need to.  I need to understand that my children will not be young forever.  They are growing up every single day, and one day (soon) they will be old enough to leave my home & live on their own.  So I have to be intentional about how we spend our time together now.

I need to be keenly aware of what I'm teaching my children - with my words but more importantly with my actions. 

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:5-6

I want them to love the Lord, have a heart for Jesus, and serve others through the power of the Holy Spirit. 

I want them to experience God's forgiveness and be able to forgive others.

I want God's opinion of them to matter more than man's. 

I want them to "get God" and worship Him openly and unapologetically. 

I want them to pray continuously and trust God wholeheartedly - in good times and in bad. 

I want them to desire God's will for their lives instead of pursuing the American dream. 

I want them to make the most of every opportunity God gives them.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."  Galatians 6:9-10 

While I can't make these personal decisions for my children, I can demonstrate for them what a life totally surrendered to Christ looks like.  I can let them see the lasting joy and peace that comes only from a personal relationship with Jesus, in spite of our circumstances. 

Since school ended yesterday, I've got to start preparing for my intentional summer with my children RIGHT NOW!  While we have some big plans already, my focus will be on the small, daily things.  Nothing like Tanner's 8th grade recognition ceremony and the last day of school for inspiration.

Tanner marching in 

Tanner posing on the football field after the ceremony

 One day our children are here...

until time goes by so fast - like a blur...

And then they are GONE!
All grown up and living on their own!

After the ceremony, we had lunch with some other 8th grade graduates from church.

If only we could keep the boys on one side and the girls on the other side until they are 30!!! Lol!

Of course, we had to celebrate at a new skate park


in Concord

Goodbye 4th grade and 8th grade


HELLO INTENTIONAL SUMMER!


Loving HIM with all my heart & soul,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment