Friday, October 21, 2011

The Garage Sale Chronicles - Part 2

THE GIFTS

The second donation call came Saturday morning, October 1.  It was from Matt, one of our youth ministers, inviting me to have all of the leftovers from his & Meghan's garage sale that morning.  I grabbed Tanner and the truck keys and off we went - eventually.

When I got to the truck, I found this...

left over from a previous camping trip.  So Faith Wrenn helped me throw unload everything into a pile on the ground.  I must of gotten hit in the head during the process because I let Tanner do this...

in our neighborhood.  Fortunately, Tanner is very cautious and is my "rules" kid.  He did very well.  I, on the other hand, kept repeating Philippians 4:6....."Do not be anxious about anything....." to myself. 

Once at Matt & Meghan's house, we loaded everything up. 

Then Carla, who also goes to our church, came over and offered her garage sale leftovers too.  (Several houses on their street had garage sales that morning.)  What a blessing for them to donate to us!

The front seat


The back seat

The back of the truck

With the truck bursting at the seams, I called Sheri and arranged to drop off everything at her house.

Rene showed up too - just in time to help us unload and lay claim to part of Sheri & Bradd's garage.
Sheri (left) and Rene (right)
As soon as I got home, Tanner & I put all of the firewood BACK into the truck. (Remember, God told me He would provide for Africa but it would cost me something/a sacrifice just like David in 2 Samuel 24:18-25.  Well today, it cost me physical labor - unloading & reloading this wood.  My back was not amused!)  God is so faithful and true to His Word.

When I walked into the house, Faith Wrenn handed me a phone number and told me to call Mrs. Robin.  So I did.

Robin goes to our church, and her daughter is a missionary who just recently came back to the states.  Her daughter & some of her friends had a garage sale that morning to raise money for a specific need.  Robin had the leftovers packed in her van and wanted to bring them over. 


WHAT A BLESSING!

Then, my neighbors Stephanie & Jody brought over some things.  They are moving to the mission field in Ghana, Africa in November along with their 2 children.  They had several things to donate as they are packing up to go. 


What a beautiful example of Matthew 28:19-20...Jesus said, "Therefore GO and MAKE DISCIPLES of all nations, BAPTIZING THEM in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and TEACHING THEM to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Tuesday morning at Bible study, Sheri tells me that things were getting crazy with the sale of their house.  A home inspection had been done by a company from NC and had resulted in a 56 page report!!!  The potential homeowners were freaking out, as you can imagine.  Sheri & Bradd were not happy either.  So, Sheri wasn't sure if they would actually be moving now.  I offered to have the garage sale somewhere else, but she assured me that moving or not, they still needed to clean out lots of stuff, and the garage sale would go on as planned. 

***Thankfully, the majority of the items on the inspection report were very minor (burned out light bulbs, things not working because they were not turned to the proper setting, tightening this & that, etc.)  Everything worked out, and they officially closed yesterday (Thursday October 20)!!!***  YAY GOD!

Meanwhile, more donations kept coming in.  Here's Jordan and Heidi bringing things to my van.

When my children could no longer get to their computers in our office, I knew it was time to take another load to Sheri's!

So I loaded up the truck and moved it to Eppington.  South that is.  No swimming pool but Amazing Friends.  (Sorry about that, I must confess that I have watched the Beverly Hillbillies a few mornings this past week - for old time's sake.)
More physical labor/sacrifice
I'm just praying that my back doesn't give out until AFTER the garage sale


The donations kept coming.  I found these bags waiting for me from Kim V. one night.  
She brought them when she dropped her son off for the 9th grade boys small group that meets at our house on Thursdays.

On Friday, I picked up lots of things from Kelly who cleaned out her guest room to make way for baby Michael's nursery.  How EXCITING!
Also, my sister & brother-in-law JEff Guest donated clothes that my 3 year old niece had outgrown. 


You can see Grace's head on the left looking at her daddy.  She would not let me take her picture so her daddy took her spot.  He also very graciously laid in the floor so I could see him through my mega zoom lens!  What a good sport! I still had to stand on the stairs to take this shot. It would have been easier if I would have just changed my lens, but I tend not to do things the easy way :)
Not only did God provide all of these donations for us to sell, He also gave me 2 special gifts.

Since we moved into our house just over 2 years ago, I have been wanting some lamps to go in our entry way.  Often, I would find some I liked, but they were too expensive.  I just couldn't justify spending the money.  My budget wouldn't allow it.
  
So imagine my excitement when I found these lamps in the garage sale leftovers from Matt & Meghan's house!!! 

ONLY GOD!!!  He provided them for me!  They were exactly what I have been looking for!

And gift number 2 was an answer to prayer as well. 

When I've gone on mission trips in the past, I've always taken Shawn's bookbag with me.  It is what I use each day to carry my supplies in.  Since Shawn & I will be going to Africa together, I knew he would need his bookbag, and I would need my own.  So a few months ago, I started praying specifically for God to provide a bookbag.  I've been to Goodwill several times looking for one, but never found anything.

Imagine how giddy I was when God provided these through the garage sale donations!!! 

Why 2 bags you ask.  Well, Tanner's school books are so heavy that he has started using Shawn's bookbag everyday now.  So, God provided 2 more to make sure everyone in my family has what they need while we're in Africa!!! 

GOD JUST BLOWS ME AWAY!!!!!  His tenderness towards me is often more than I can stand!  He takes such good care of His children!  He deserves all the praise and all the glory!

ISN'T GOD SO INCREDIBLE??!!!  Stay tuned because there is SO MUCH MORE to come.

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."  Ephesians 3:20-21

Loving HIM with all my heart & soul, Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment