Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Writing on the Wall

I co-lead a 5th grade small group on Sunday mornings, and my daughter Faith Wrenn is in my group.  This month, we have been focusing on creativity - using your imagination to do something unique.  This morning, our Bible lesson came from Matthew 5:13-16 - the Sermon on the Mount.

Jesus said,
   “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
   “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

During our small group time, I had my students share some of their favorite verses from the Bible.  Then, I had them use their creativity by graffiting the verses on the walls.  (Don't worry, we have permission to decorate our room any way we want & I can't think of a better way than with God's Word :)

Faith Wrenn told me she wanted to put all of Psalm 3 on the wall.  I asked her to just pick a couple of verses instead.  So, here is what she wrote...



"Arise, O LORD!
Deliver me, O my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
break the teeth of the wicked.

From the LORD comes deliverance.
May Your blessing be on Your people." Psalm 3:7-8

I'll be honest with you.  When I first read it, I thought to myself "Oh my!  Verse 7 is a rather vivid & strong verse. Ummm, I don't know if it should be on the wall for 5th graders to read each week.  Not to mention that it was the teacher's daughter that wrote it!"

(Yes I know.  I sound rather prideful.  Don't worry, God took care of that before I ever left church this morning.)

After church, I was standing in the parking lot socializing.  My friends Sean & Mendy pulled up beside me in their car to talk for a minute.  Then, my sister pulled up behind them.  Meanwhile, my children were in the van waiting on me so we could leave.  Nearly everyone else had already gone.

Well, Faith Wrenn got hot and wanted to turn the air on in the van.  So, she walks over to me to get the keys.  As soon as I handed them to her, she takes off running in front of Sean & Mendy's car heading back to the van.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see a blur of blue.

It took a second for everything to register.  But, I soon realized that the blur of blue was a young man driving very fast around my sister's car and around Sean & Mendy's car.  I knew Faith Wrenn couldn't see him & he sure couldn't see her.

So, I screamed at Faith Wrenn!  Loudly!  Repeatedly! 

Thankfully, she stopped and looked back at me!!!!  One more step and she would have been hit by that fast moving car!!!!  I still want to throw up just thinking about it as I type this.  It was that close.  It was way too close.

Once I stopped shaking, God brought Psalm 3:7-8 to my mind.  He said to me in my spirit, "Nancy, I fulfilled those verses for Faith Wrenn today!  I struck her enemy (satan) on the jaw and broke some of his teeth just now!  I delivered your daughter from her enemy who was prowling around looking to kill, steal, and destroy!"

I was speechless. And VERY, VERY GRATEFUL!!! 

You see, as Shawn & I have been preparing for Africa, the level of spiritual warfare has been on the rise.  Just yesterday I had a heart-sinking feeling and a moment of fear when  I thought about what satan may do to try to keep us out of Africa - like targeting my children, for example.

Then, Faith Wrenn was almost hit by a car in the church parking lot today!!!  BUT GOD CRUSHED HER ENEMY AND DELIVERED HER!!!  THANK YOU LORD!!! 

Needless to say, I will never look at Psalm 3:7-8 the same way again!  Each week when I see it on the wall, it will be a reminder of how God fought for my daughter, protected her and safely delivered her from harm.  I am so thankful that according to Exodus 15:3, my God is a warrior!!!

Loving HIM with all my heart & soul,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment