Monday, October 3, 2011

Hodge Podge

This time last year, I was in Quito Ecuador watching our Mighty God at work in the lives of the people there - it was unlike anything I have ever seen.  One of the best parts was experiencing God with this amazing group of folks who love Him and love orphans. 


I can't believe it's been a year already. 

Among other things, God used that trip to prompt me to start blogging again.  That is how "For the Display of HIS Splendor" began.

Recently, I was looking back over all of my blog posts, and I counted 14 different "drafts" that have not been completed and/or posted for you to read!  That does not include the 5 or 6 posts still floating around in my head.  Let me apologize right now - I'm sorry!  I know I've told you more than once I would share something with you, but never followed through.  Usually it was because life got in the way or God did something else that I wanted to share with you right away.  But that is still no excuse.  Do you forgive me?

I've asked God to please give me some consistent writing time each day so I can get "caught up."  But, I've also begged Him not to stop giving me new "God stories" while I'm catching up!  Please Lord! 

I have to laugh.  My phone just rang & it was my husband asking me what city I went to in Ecuador last year because he had just met some people from Ecuador at Chick-fil-a.  Isn't it interesting how God does that?  I've been reminiscing about Ecuador today, & my husband meets someone from there today.

I love how God works.

Back to my apology.  Part of my problem with blogging is it ALWAYS takes longer to write a post than I think it will.  ALWAYS.  I can write it in my head in no time, but it takes forever once I start typing.  I generally read my posts over and over and over again before I ever publish them too.  I analyze it and analyze it some more because I want to make sure my words are clear and not misunderstood. 

It took me 30 minutes to write a facebook status last week about an upcoming garage sale we are having to raise money for Africa!  And it was only 3 or 4 sentences - I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING!  Absolute craziness!  I've mentioned before that I'm a recovering perfectionist, and apparently blogging brings out those tendencies again! 

Unfortunately, I have also just witnessed 2 very strong Christian bloggers be completely misunderstood and verbally attacked because of it.  While I understand any time you speak out on behalf of Christ, you can expect some folks to disagree with you.  But, people get vicious these days and even make threats.  Honestly, what I have seen equals Christian persecution through the internet.  With this in mind, I need to be sure I'm listening to God very closely as He leads me to write.  My obedience to Him is paramount, no matter how it's interpreted.  And listening can take time. 

So, if you will promise to stick with me, I will promise to share God stories with you from the past and the present.  Deal?

Thank you!  God tells us to remember the things He's done, and that is the sole purpose of this blog.

Let me end this post by sharing a little hodge podge with you.  You'll see what I mean. Enjoy.

You might be a redneck genius if your daughter drops the tub of butter, cracks the container, and you instruct her to grab the duct tape!


************

While driving to work a few days ago, I passed a church sign that said, "God wants full custody, not just weekend visitation!"  WOW! How true is that!

************

Two Tuesdays ago, I asked Tanner, my 9th grader, if he knew (..... hang on a minute, there's a knock at the door. It was my neighbor who is getting ready to head back to the mission field in GHANA, AFRICA and he was dropping off things for our garage sale - YAY GOD.....) when he would be having his school picture taken.  His response, "No, ma'am." 

That same night, I picked up one of the girls for our 9th grade girls small group meeting.  During the ride, she mentions that all freshmen will be having their school pictures taken THAT Thursday (2 days away!)  Thank you Lord for putting girls in my path so I know what is happening at school!

Let's just say that the morning of school pictures, Tanner and I were in the front office bright & early filling out a picture form!  Oh yeah and while we were there, another mom walks in with her daughter and her son.  The daughter already had her picture form completed though.  The mom was there to fill out a form for her son!!!  Tanner and I just looked at each other and laughed.  It must be a male thing & I wouldn't understand!

************

Safety patrol at Faith Wrenn's elementary school started a few weeks ago.  You know about safety patrol, right?  It's the group of 4th & 5th graders dressed in bright safety sashes/vests waiting to help your child in the carpool line by opening and closing the door for them. 


Well, every morning when we pull up, the safety patrol student just stands there and looks at us.  Waiting. They are waiting for me to push a button and open the door for them!!!  Sorry safety patrol, no automatic door in my van!  It's all up to you!  I know, I know...the nerve of me to actually expect you to open the door!  My bad.  

This cracks me up every single morning!!!  Sometimes Faith will sit in the van and wait.  She's trying to help train them.  But, the safety patrol student (and it's a different one every morning) still won't budge!  It is hilarious!  Maybe I should drive Shawn's car so Faith can have the door opened for her at least once :)

Can you imagine what the carpool line will be like when we have grandchildren or great grandchildren if the kids today already expect automatic doors??!!!      

************
I hope my hodge podge made you smile.

"May God be merciful and bless us.  May His face smile with favor on us." Psalm 67:1
By the way, I started writing this post at 1:14 p.m. with every intention of having it finished and published by 2:30 p.m.  It is now 8:52 p.m.  I'm just saying.

Loving HIM with all my heart & soul,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment