Thursday, January 6, 2011

ALL BLUE & TATTOOED!

I went to be "fitted" for radiation today.  The people there are genuinely super duper nice!  I don't know any other way to put it.

Nurse K went over all of the logistics with me and made sure I understood everything, including the risks.  She also made sure I knew that they would be permanently "tattooing" me today to mark where the raditation needs to go.  I asked her if I could get a cross because I wanted my tattoo to mean something.  She grinned and said "FOR GOD'S GLORY!" 

Amen sister!!!

Nurse K is obviously a follower of Christ.  Several years ago, she went on an extended mission trip and ministered to orphans.  God touched her heart during that time, and she fought hard for a few years to adopt her daughter who is now 13!!!  Her God story is very encouraging, especially for those going through the adoption process with another country.  Her advice:  DO NOT GIVE UP!

I actually got 3 tattoos, but I think they are only small dots.  I've also been marked with bright blue lines everywhere.  They assured me that the bright blue was NOT permanent!

As I was leaving, I met another patient.  She was not doing well.  She shared a little of her story with me.  She said that her small cancerous spot was completely removed.  However, a very small spot was found in one of her lymph nodes.  When the surgeon went to remove that cancer, it broke apart into smaller pieces.

As a result, she is having to undergo both radiation and chemotherapy.  She said she just finished her first round of chemo which consisted of 8 straight days of treatment.  She said the side effects were horrible, and she could barely put her feet on the floor.  She has 3 more rounds of chemo left.  Round 2 starts in about 3 weeks.  And she is having radiation AT THE SAME TIME as chemo!!!  I cannot imagine.      

Please pray for her.  She does not want to do chemo anymore.  But she has a 12 year old daughter and knows that she has to do it.  She has beautiful thick blonde hair and knows it will fall out with the next round of chemo.  I do not know her name because our conversation was interrupted when the nurse needed me.  But God does.  So, please pray for her. 

I will officially start radiation on Monday, January 17 and end around March 4 - just in time for my birthday on March 7!  Well actually the 17th will be a test run and the 18th will be the real deal. 

Each treatment only takes about 10 minutes a day.  I'll also have x-rays once a week.  The most common side effects are fatigue and "sunburn."

Lots of you have asked about doing meals for me and my family once I start radiation.  Well, I was thinking it would be a HUGE BLESSING if you could simply share your "easy to freeze" and crockpot recipes with me.  That way, I can prepare a variety of food in advance and not need much energy to put dinner on the table each night.  (Unless of course you sense God wanting you to prepare the food yourself and bring it over, then by all means, please obey Him.)  You can leave your recipe on the comments or e-mail it to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your prayers, e-mails, cards, phone calls, text messages, smiles, encouragement, etc.  You all mean so much to me!!!

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."  Ephesians 3:20-21 

Loving HIM with all my heart & soul,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment